Moving with Assistance

Are you planning on moving?

The following steps are required to move to a new unit with Section 8 HCV assistance:

Moving with Assistance

  1. Submit proper notice to vacate to your ET at the same time you submit to the owner

Giving notice less than 60 days prior to the vacate date may cause a delay in housing assistance

  1. Attend Scheduled Unit Transfer Briefing – Part I
  2. Attend Unit Transfer Briefing – Part II, at which ET issues you a Voucher and Moving Paperwork
  3. Call to schedule appointment to return moving papers – Note: Inspections are scheduled on a 1st come, 1st served basis.  May take up to 3 weeks to get an inspection scheduled
  4. Unit passes inspection – Welcome to your new home!


Where should I look for housing? We recommend searching at

Moving out of Minneapolis? Learn about portability

How many bedrooms should I look for? Our occupancy standards

What are some rent guidelines? Check our utility allowance/payment standards chart


How to give proper notice:

Please follow these procedures to ensure proper notice:

  • State in writing your name, address and the date you will vacate the property.  Download our Vacate Notice form now to make sure you have all information.
  • The date you leave the property must be on the last day of the month.
  • This notice must be given to your landlord based on your lease requirements. Your lease will either state a 30 or 60 days written notice to vacate required.
  • The landlord must sign and date the notice to vacate, acknowledging when they received it from you.
  • If your landlord has refused to sign your proper written notice, you must mail a copy of the notice via certified mail to the landlord. You will be required to submit the certified mail receipt and a copy of addressed envelope to MPHA to verify the attempt to notify was made.
  • Next, submit the notice to your Eligibility Technician
  • After you submit proper notice, you will be scheduled for a transfer briefing to receive your moving papers.
  • All families moving in or out of Minneapolis are required to attend the transfer briefing before we will issue a new voucher. If you do not attend your scheduled transfer briefing or if you fail to follow these moving procedures, you may subject your family to termination from the program.

For further assistance please contact your Eligibility Technician.