How Do I Report Changes In My Household?
If your income or household composition changes, you must notify MPHA in writing within 10 days of the change and provide written proof of the change. You may owe money to MPHA if you do not timely report a change or provide the written proof. Please see the forms below for documentation requirements.
To report your changes, please download
Fill out your household information and any applicable changes, and fax it along with documentation to 612-335-4427 or mail it to:
MPHA Section 8 HCV Administration
1001 Washington Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55401-1043
Forms may also be signed and emailed directly to your Eligibility Technician.
Once the form has been submitted, you may be contacted to schedule an appointment. We will independently verify the information you provide at each Interim or Annual Re-Certification. Section 8 HCV will not make any income or household changes without an appointment and proper documentation.
- If your income or family composition changes, you must notify MPHA in writing
- You must provide documentation of the change
- We will independently verify income information at each Interim Re-Certification
What if your rent goes down?
- After verifying the change, your Eligibility Technician will send you & the property owner a notice of the new rent portions
- The change will be effective on the first of the month following a full month waiting period in order to gather necessary information and to provide a 30 days’ notice.
If you report a change in January, then January is your reporting month. February then is the waiting month – allowing us to gather replacement income information and provide both you and the property owner a 30 day notice of the change. The change will be effective March 1st.
What if your rent goes up?
- Also effective on the first of the month following 30 days’ notice to the family and property owner
- If a family fails to report a change in a timely manner, the change will apply retroactively
- The family will be responsible for any overpayment resulting from failure to provide information timely
Household Composition Change
- Your Family composition is determined at the time of admission. The addition or removal of family members must be approved by the PHA.
- The Head of Household is determined at admission.
- The Head of Household can NOT transfer the voucher to another family member.
When family members are absent from the unit
- A family member who is absent from the unit for less than 90 days is considered temporarily absent – all income is still included when determining rent portions.
- A family member who is absent for more than 90 days is considered permanently absent. A return to the family must be approved by the PHA and will require clearance through a criminal background check.
When the Head of Household is absent from the unit
- A Head of Household who is absent from the unit for less than 90 days is considered temporarily absent – all income is still included when determining rent portions.
- A Head of Household who is voluntarily absent from the unit for more than 90 days relinquishes the rental assistance for the entire family.
Please be aware: If there is any delay in providing completed documentation to Eligibility Technicians, this may cause a delay in the effective starting date of your change.
You and your landlord will be notified in writing of any changes made to the rent portions and when the change will be effective. It may take up to 30 days to receive this notice. You must continue to pay your current amount until you receive the written notification of the new amounts from Section 8 HCV.
For further assistance contact your Eligibility Technician.