MPHA’s Section 8 HCV Program will only approve requests from owners for contract rent increases that are deemed reasonable and affordable.
To submit a request for a contract rent increase, please provide Section 8 HCV a copy of the rent increase notice you have provided to your tenant notifying the tenant of the rent increase. Notice should be submitted to the assigned Eligibility Technician or can be faxed to 612-335-4427.
The notice needs to include:
- Your tenant’s name
- The property address
- The property owner’s name
- A telephone number where you can be reached
- The new rent amount
- The effective date of the requested rent increase
- Signatures of both the Landlord and Tenant
- Section 8 HCV must receive all the information no less than 60 days before the new rent goes into effect. Any requests received with less than 60 days notice will not be accepted or processed.
- You should submit your rent increase yearly, from the date of initial occupancy. This interval will allow for the maximum rent increase for the owner and the least amount of impact on the tenant portion, providing a winning situation for all.
- Both you and your Tenant will receive a letter 30 days prior to the effective date of the increase stating the new Housing Assistance Payment and the new Tenant portions.