Frequently Asked Questions

1. Are you allowed to have a pet?

Residents are permitted to have pets.  The Statement of Policy sets forth the guidelines for both high-rise and scattered site tenants.  Generally residents may have, “only one cat or one dog weighing not more than 25 lbs; or two caged birds; or an aquarium of thirty gallons or less for fish only; or two cages gerbils or hamsters…”   The policy does set forth which pets are prohibited.

2. How do I pay my rent?

You will receive a rent statement and a payment envelope for the next month’s rent at the end of each month.  Rent is due the first of each month.  Please mail your rent.  Your payment should be in the form of a cashier’s check, money order or personal check made out to “Minneapolis Public Housing Authority” or “MPHA.”  Cash is not accepted.  If you are past due in your rent you should pay your rent at the Rent Collections window at 1001 Washington Avenue North.  The Rent Collections office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on  Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; except holidays.

3. How do I request a repair to my unit?

During the work day 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays, High-rise tenants should call 612-342-1585 and Family tenants call 612-342-1515.  Let the Work Order coordinator know the nature of your needed repair and a staff person will be assigned to fix it.  During the non-work day, weekends and holidays your call will be taken by an answering service who will direct your call to an MPHA staff member on call who will address your concern.

4. What do I do if I lose my unit key or my key badge?

If you lose your unit key or key badge notify your management office immediately.  They will issue you a new unit key and key badge.  There will be a charge to replace them.

5. What do I do if I need a change to my unit?

If you need a reasonable accommodation for your unit such as a grab bar in the shower, you should contact your management office and complete the required forms.  Your request will be reviewed and a decision made as to your request.

6. How do I transfer from my current unit?

There are eight different categories for a transfer.  Tenants must contact your management office staff to request a transfer and complete the necessary paper work.  You can review the transfer policy and process by going to the Statement of Policy.